Sunday, February 8, 2015

I missed a few

So I missed a few holidays. I went camping last week with my Girl Scout troop and those kids took a lot of me lol.


I missed more holidays than I thought I would. But the one I really wanted to write about was Imbolc.


Imbolc is also known as St. Brigid's day. It is a Gaelic holiday, widly celebrated by Pagans, Christian's just call it St. Brigid's day. St. Brigid was thought to be the Christianized version of the Goddess, allowing this holiday to go hand in hand between the two rival religions.









This holiday happened to fall on Groundhog's day. Which is fitting because  imbolc traditions show that winter divination happening on this day where people would watch to see if any serpents or badgers would come out from hibernation, indicating winter was nearly over. (personally I like this better than pulling some poor groundhog out of his hole and trying to figure out of theres a shadow.... )




This holiday is generally celebrated on Feb. 1st in the northern hemisphere and August 1st in the southern hemisphere.  however many chose to celebrate it precisely between the winter solstice and the equinox. Celebrations differ widely,  as neopagans choose how they would like to celebrate. Some chose to try to revive old traditions, which have pre-historic roots, so any tradition practiced ever is up for grabs.


The meaning behind this holiday is to celebrate the lengthening of days, the welcoming of spring. Purifying the household and spring cleaning is a major theme as spring is welcomed and enticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment